Steelguitar.fr - Le forum dédié à la Pedal Steel

Bienvenue sur steelguitar.fr Pour toute inscription nous acceptons les musiciens uniquement sous leurs VRAIS NOMS ET PRÉNOMS (par exemple "Stéphane Lefebvre"). Tout pseudonyme sera immédiatement rejeté. Merci
Steelguitar.fr - Le forum dédié à la Pedal Steel

Pedal steel, matériel, événements, musique, occasions . Le 1 er Forum Français regroupant les Joueurs de Pedal Steel, Lap steel et Résonateurs.

STEELGUITAR.FR
Retrouvez de nombreuses infos à propos de la Pedal Steel sur nos sites ressources: ----- http://www.pedalsteel.fr ----- http://www.pedalsteelguitar.fr -----
Prochains rendez vous importants: -------->>>
PROCHAINES RENCONTRES DE CHARLIEU (42) printemps 2017 - renseignements Éric Want ----

In how many bands do you guys play? and have much work???

Partagez
Mummenhoff Marc
sage

In how many bands do you guys play? and have much work???

Message  Mummenhoff Marc le Sam 12 Nov - 14:05

I wonder?
for the moment i play in two country-bands and still has not a lot of work.
(for the moment one in November, one in december and one gig in januari)
I know personal guys that play in 4 or 5 bands and have 1 job in a whole month.
Back in the early years i played in one band and had 2 or more gigs in one week - so what a difference---
Also did in those early years a lot of studio jobs
Maybe i have one studio job next year - if i'm lucky?
Because all the musicans in a band play also in several other bands, it's a real disaster for getting something organized.
Is it for you guys also so difficult to get playin'?
It's not easy for me too quit music because i like playin' - but sometimes - i wonder why?

BTW: most of the country bands in Belgium are not using a pedalplayer anymore.
Fred Mabrut
Chef de l'apéro

Re: In how many bands do you guys play? and have much work???

Message  Fred Mabrut le Dim 13 Nov - 9:41

I currently play with a Country/ Rockabilly band. Not a lot of gigs at this time of the year, but we're beginning to work on our 3rd studio album which should be released in 2012.
Otherwise, I've done some studio work with a Strasburger band this year, maybe more next year.

Bernard Glorian
Grand Sage

Message  Bernard Glorian le Dim 13 Nov - 13:43

MARC soulève une vraie question ici...

je pense que le PLAISIR de JOUER est majoritairement la motivation qui nous fait parcourir tant de KMS à équivalence avec L' AMITIE.

il y a parmi nous bien sûr deux approches essentielles :

celle des amis pour qui c'est le JOB !

celle des amateurs qui pratiquent pour le plaisir pur.

ensuite la seconde catégorie peut aussi se diviser entre
CASANIERS plus ou moins forcenés
et NOMADES (je dirais) prêts à faire des KM pour l'amitié, la promo de l'instrument, etc....

J'avais proposé à Marc par mail de nous retrouver l'an dernier et cette année à Frasnes (B.) chez Xavier Thibault (...aucune réponse).

maintenant le sujet est aussi la présence des STEEL GUITARS au sein des groupes.
A titre perso,j'estime qu'un groupe Country sans Steel Guitar se prive d'un réel éventail de sonorités.

Mummenhoff Marc
sage

playing for fun

Message  Mummenhoff Marc le Dim 13 Nov - 16:27

Hi Guys,
I play music because i like to play and have fun doing it. (money never drives me - i have a fulltime job so---)
But i don't get satisfied only playing at home.
So i really like to play in bands.
But every person is different ofcource and i respect that.
I also admired steel conventions.
I used to go many times to steel conventions in my early years.
I remember one time at a convention someone said to me: hey man, what are you doing here? go home, you never learn it
(wow was i shocked!)
That was for me the goal to get better ofcourse LOL
But there are nice people around also ofcource and i have a lot of respect for those
It's very good for buying stuff at those conventions like cources - cd's ed. and maybe a new steelguitar.
Bernard Glorian
Grand Sage

Message  Bernard Glorian le Lun 14 Nov - 0:30

agree with you MARC...

we can tell you : you are a very good SteelGuitar Player and you're welcome on next "Rendez Vous" meetings, indeed. (as you want, and no problem if you can't)

I also understand your pleasure is to play in Bands. more energy and music feelings shared between musicians, of course.

but as you said, Linedancers don't necessary need bands with PSG and unfortunately we notice they use CD, DJ .... even out of country styles !!

Mummenhoff Marc
sage

Message  Mummenhoff Marc le Lun 14 Nov - 8:31

Thank you for those nice compliment Bernard.
Maybe there is a change going on in the Belgium country scene ???
The two bands i am playin' would really like a steelplayer in their band - so maybe there is hope?
I hope the other bands are next to follow?
One band is playing only line-dance songs (Tinwheel)
They play a long time with a drummachine - but now it's a full live band again! (with live drums)
The other is playing own written songs and it's also a tribute band to Waylon Jennings (Texas Tawk)
We keep trying!
So in my own way i tried to promote the steelguitar
I always meet people that find it a nice instrument and like it so ---- (and they are not musicans or steelplayers)
Even met musicans that really like to buy a steelguitar and i give them all kind of tips (i really do help them out)
So as i said: i also promote the steel in my own way
btw: The people that come to a steelmeeting are already steelplayers
But it's fun to talk to each other
Jan Oelbrandt
Membre Honoraire

Message  Jan Oelbrandt le Mar 15 Nov - 10:34

I play in 4 bands (and also do a solo gig from time 2 time), in two of the bands I play PSG.
This summer I've had an average of between 1 and 2 gigs per week. I'm not complaining...
Now it's slowing down some.
My gig calendar is on http://jan.oelbrandt.be for all to see

Not doing anything country right now, but if I had a request, that could change.

I think the main difference to earlier years is: there's loads of (good) musicians around now, and they all play in several bands (so the amount of bands is wayyyy more than there was say 20 years ago). But oppotunities to play haven't grown the same amount.
Mummenhoff Marc
sage

Message  Mummenhoff Marc le Mar 15 Nov - 20:14

Hi Jan,
4 bands is a lot
I also used to play in 3 bands but that was too much for me
Double bookings
A dissapointment for many
Most of the bands were glad that they have a gig, and i just have to say: sorry i am playing with an other band.
They counted on me at that time and i let them down.
So for the moment for me: 2 bands is an absolute, altough i have not many gigs
But that's just the probleme these days, all the musici that i know are playing with several bands
What a difficult organisation brings that!
The drummer in one of the bands that i play, is playing in 6 bands.
So you can imagine
I had this year tree more offers to play in other bands, but i all let them down, because two is more than enough for me.
Sometime i make the wrong decision. But hey i don't make a living of it.
Keep on steelin Jan
And don't get me wrong - i like your playing and every one is doing the stuf that he thinks he should do.
Jan Oelbrandt
Membre Honoraire

Message  Jan Oelbrandt le Mer 16 Nov - 8:18

Yes Marc, I know, double bookings can be a problem.
Sometimes I have to call for a replacement guitarist to fill in.
But in some bands, I'm not replaceable. First-come-first-serve it is...
But with all the trouble it brings, I wouldn't want to miss the diversity - I would not be satisfied playing in only one band. Playing music is all I do (besides having a family), and there's so much great different music to play.
And: only with one band I rehearse every week. The other ones only rehearse "when necessary". There's a big difference - I couldn't rehearse 4 times a week!

Have fun
Jan
jean marie stainier
sage

Message  jean marie stainier le Mer 16 Nov - 10:55

I play in 3 bands (2 as steeler). From time to time, I reinforce the backing band of a female singer. Some studio sessions also
The answer Marc's question :
1. I'm probably the oldest belgian steeler and I've seen so many steelers quitting for different reasons :
family reasons, professional reasons, disband of a group, loss of motivation, lack of opportunities...
2. It's obvious that the opportunities for a steeler are quite limited. Why ?
- some steelers gave a very bad reputation to the instrument due to their lack of proficiency and knowledge. I know a band
where they refuse to use a psg because of the bad experience they have had with a steeler. So, if you are not proficient enough, keep working and
wait till you get the adequate level
- many "country" (?) musicians in Belgium are former rock/blues musicians and lack a good knowledge of real country music,so they don't realize
the need for a steeler
- A band is most of the time too expensive. So they try to minimize the number of musicians (steeler and fiddler are the first victims).Worse,
you see now a new generation of karaoke country singers who make more money alone than with a band.
3.If you want to join a band, you need to be at the highest level possible and be able to play another instrument (keyboard,guitar, banjo..)
4. I played also other styles :
- swing : I played with a swing band in the early 90's. Super funny and quite demanding (you need to use C6 quite exclusively)but the concerts
opportunities were limited
- jazz : jazz musicians are absolutely not familiar with the psg and its possibilities. You need to convince them and most of all, you need a jazz
experience and avoid any phrasing giving a country flavor (not obvious at all)
- french / canadian songs : I experimented that also. That can be quite interesting but again, the opportunities are few.
So, if you want to join a band :
- go for the highest level possible. Skip tablatures and play with records. Try to be the most versatile as possible and most of all try to play by
ear and develop your improvisation capability.
- go in search of a D10. You will definitively need a C6 neck (many songs are rock/rockabilly songs where C6 is absolutely needed)
I hope I answer your question
J-M

Contenu sponsorisé

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

La date/heure actuelle est Sam 19 Aoû - 2:43