Steelguitar.fr - Le forum dédié à la Pedal Steel

Bienvenue sur steelguitar.fr Pour toute inscription nous acceptons les musiciens uniquement sous leurs VRAIS NOMS ET PRÉNOMS (par exemple "Stéphane Lefebvre"). Tout pseudonyme sera immédiatement rejeté. Merci
Steelguitar.fr - Le forum dédié à la Pedal Steel

Pedal steel, matériel, événements, musique, occasions . Le 1 er Forum Français regroupant les Joueurs de Pedal Steel, Lap steel et Résonateurs.

STEELGUITAR.FR
Retrouvez de nombreuses infos à propos de la Pedal Steel sur nos sites ressources: ----- http://www.pedalsteel.fr ----- http://www.pedalsteelguitar.fr -----
Prochains rendez vous importants: -------->>>
PROCHAINES RENCONTRES DE CHARLIEU (42) printemps 2017 - renseignements Éric Want ----

Bill Johnson

Partagez
tim mercer
Tous ceux qui espèrent en toi, Seigneur, ne seront pas confus.

Bill Johnson

Message  tim mercer le Lun 20 Juil - 10:54

Au milieu de cette chanson vieillotte pour les plus jeunes peut-être, vous avez un exercice des plus instructifs, auquel vous pouvez vous livrer pour décrypter le solo de Steel de Bill Johnson (qui se laisse taquiner par se copains musicien dans l'orchestre de Marty Robbins). Essayez, ce n'est pas si facile que cela, mais c'est une excellente discipline. Je l'a testé maintes fois, lorsque l'on a la chance d'avoir un gros plan sur la steel. Il faut regarder les deux mains. Cette fois-ci on ne voit pas les pieds, mais quand cela arrive, pensez au set-up Day ou Emmons et puis vous pouvez vous poser des questions au sujet de l'utilisation de la B et et de la C.

C'est joli et il vous aide à vous déshabituer de la tab et de la livraison du morceau tout cru:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEgiWv6L1pM&NR=1

Cela fait du bien aux oreilles, mais n'engage que moi à mon misérable niveau.

Amitiés,

TIM.
Eddy Scheepers
sage

Re: Bill Johnson

Message  Eddy Scheepers le Jeu 23 Juil - 16:20

Right Tim, just play the melody... Or: less is more, more is a bore.
But nevertheless - and I haven't given it a try yet - I don't think that he is using B and C. He could have - as you suggest - but at the passage on the 10th position, he quickly moves back to 8 instead of using B and C. And have you noticed the mistake at 2:00 ? How he handles it? Straight-faced first and then with a big smile... from both himself and Marty Robbins?

Eddy
tim mercer

It's OK

Message  tim mercer le Jeu 23 Juil - 17:37

Hello Eddy,

Sorry, there seems to be some misunderstanding about the sentence in which I said:

"Cette fois-ci on ne voit pas les pieds, mais quand cela arrive, pensez au set-up Day ou Emmons et puis vous pouvez vous poser des questions au sujet de l'utilisation de la B et et de la C.

"This time his feet are not to be seen, etc."

I worked the solo out, and as far as I remember there is no use of C. As you say, judging from the positions, Bill could have but he did not, I think. However I am saying this from memory only, and after having listened to it. I made an Mp3 out of it at a faster tempo, inventing an intro (missing in the video)and having to adjust the solo, because of the scale I used to suit my voice. The final mix was done by friend Fred, although I have a version with less echo.

What I was referring to was another number, and the name escapes me for the moment, where in Bill's Day set-up his foot can be clearly seen to move out on to the C and B pedals as he slips from D to G (on the Marty Robbins' Show) and yet another song called Sinner's Prayer, in which you can't see Bill's feet, and in which B and C are inevitable. The name will come back to me. I also put "A Sinner's Prayer" together in my first attempt to use the handy recorder Zoom H4. It did not turn out too badly.

If you watch as many of the Live shows as possible, you will see that the constant banter between band members and Bill Johnson occasionally leads, as in the "Have I Told You lately?" to a little slip when he is distracted, probably by Mr Pruett the lead guitarist and a comment from smiling Mr Robbins, who heard the slip too in this case, which as you say, is adroitly glossed over. There is another song (once again, I have forgotten the title) in the same show in which a sudden scrape goes uncommented. I thought at first that it was some strange seventh chord, but no, it was also caused by the chatter between players. Nothing serious at all and taken in his stride.

What I wished to emphasise was what a steel player can gain from watching a player like Mr Johnson attentively if close-ups as are given and of course if the song pleases.

I am not sure that everyone understood what I was trying to underscore.

However, I am sure that you did.

TIM.
tim mercer

I remember now

Message  tim mercer le Jeu 23 Juil - 17:51

Eddy,

The name of the song has come back to me: A Handful of Love" possibly spelt also: "A Hand Full of Love"

Watch the song and you'll see what I mean about the feet and the outer pedal (C).

Sorry I can't give you the link on YouTube and write the mail at the same time.

Tim.
tim mercer

A heart full

Message  tim mercer le Ven 24 Juil - 10:52

Dear Eddy,

Sorry about all this; I got it wrong about the title, which is "A Heart Full of Love". Age is creeping up on me. Here's the link for you and others to admire the clean-cut playing of Mr Johnson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwvG8V0wD8

Note something that you would never see today, which is the cigarette smoke curling gently up from behind the steel player, which I bet you is coming from the rhythm guitarist's cigarette behind Mr Johnson to the left of the screen.

Times have changed.

My apologies for the confusion caused either by age or the heat.

All the best,

TIM.
Fred Mabrut
Chef de l'apéro

Message  Fred Mabrut le Ven 24 Juil - 18:12

Ces vidéos de Marty Robbins et Bill Johnson sont effectivement très instructives pour qui se donner la peine de déchiffrer le jeu de Johnson qui est loin d'être désagréable.
On voit la fumée mais pas la clope, c'est peut être l'ampli qui part en sucettes. C'est arrivé à notre bassiste le 21 juin...!

tim mercer

Venez voir, ça fume!

Message  tim mercer le Ven 24 Juil - 18:35

Cher Fred,

Je ne pense pas que ce soit l'ampli, car dans une autre vidéo il y a toujours de la fumée!

L'argument n'est pas sans faille, je le reconnais, car c'est peut-être la même fumée qui continue.

Autres temps, autres mœurs.

Cependant, comme tu le soulignes, la démarche du décryptage à vue est fort salutaire.

Amitiés à tous,

TIM.

Contenu sponsorisé

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

La date/heure actuelle est Mar 12 Déc - 5:46