Steelguitar.fr - Le forum dédié à la Pedal Steel

Bienvenue sur steelguitar.fr Pour toute inscription nous acceptons les musiciens uniquement sous leurs VRAIS NOMS ET PRÉNOMS (par exemple "Stéphane Lefebvre"). Tout pseudonyme sera immédiatement rejeté. Merci
Steelguitar.fr - Le forum dédié à la Pedal Steel

Pedal steel, matériel, événements, musique, occasions . Le 1 er Forum Français regroupant les Joueurs de Pedal Steel, Lap steel et Résonateurs.

STEELGUITAR.FR
Retrouvez de nombreuses infos à propos de la Pedal Steel sur nos sites ressources: ----- http://www.pedalsteel.fr ----- http://www.pedalsteelguitar.fr -----
Prochains rendez vous importants: -------->>>
PROCHAINES RENCONTRES DE CHARLIEU (42) printemps 2017 - renseignements Éric Want ----

Copycat or new ways to play the song?

Partagez
Mummenhoff Marc
sage

Copycat or new ways to play the song?

Message  Mummenhoff Marc le Mar 24 Fév - 16:21

Can we play new things on a steel that never be played by others? I don't think so. We liked to say that we play like ourself but is that so?
We all had our examples, already been explained by the masters like Buddy Emmons, Doug jernigan, herby Wallace cources. So in a way we all play liked them. Originality?  Very difficult i think. Everybody plays like everybody and all things and licks are already been done.
The best way to play like yourself is maybe when you play 'own written material' or songs with no steelguitar in it.
That's the way i like the most.  But if you analyze yourself afterwards you discover that you maybe play licks that already been done by someone else.
Maybe distortion?  ? Robert randolph does that --- and so on--
I think everything is found what need to be found on a steel and everybody is copycatting everybody.
It' hard to be Original.
But i like to think i am Original :-)
For the moment i am in a experimental fase on the steel an like to find something new. Waiting for inspiration. Maybe back to copycatting again LOL
Patrick Laffrat
Grand Sage

Re: Copycat or new ways to play the song?

Message  Patrick Laffrat le Mar 24 Fév - 16:54

When I play twelve notes of music I am well aware that JS Bach played them before me,  but when I play my pedal steel guitar I am convinced that I play notes that do not exist, and nobody played them before me !   Very Happy
Mummenhoff Marc
sage

Message  Mummenhoff Marc le Mar 24 Fév - 17:54

Way to go Patrick! :-)

For the moment i play in 3 bands and they all look at me in a way that i play an 'alien instrument'. So far so good LOL
Eddy Scheepers
sage

Message  Eddy Scheepers le Mar 24 Fév - 22:16

Right, Marc. An alien instrument... An ET-guitar... That's what it is considered! But what I hate the most is when they say: "So, I see you play LAPSTEEL" Rolling Eyes

Eddy
Jan Oelbrandt
Membre Honoraire

Message  Jan Oelbrandt le Mar 17 Mar - 9:26

@ Eddy: I agree, but actually playing lapsteel is not a bad thing. But it is anoying that many people mistake the one for the other...
@ Patrick: I think you mean the PSG is capable of producing every tiny step between the half tones? So are many other instruments!
@ Marc:  you speak of many things. I agree that a lot of copycatting is going on. That is not per se a bad thing: I think a musician of any sort should be able to play what the song is asking for. So as a PSG player, if you're asked to play in a traditional country setting, it's good so play all the traditional licks. We don't expect a guitar player to play a dim scale on a 12-bar blues, do we?
But please be careful to use terms as "everybody" and then presenting yourself as an Original. Some things might be going on that you may not be aware of. Maybe some examples of what you are "experimenting" with could shed some light on your post?
As far as Randolph goes... most of the time, he doesn't use the PSG to it's capability (the string raiser+lowers while sustaining). A lot of single line melody. I think he just prefers to use the PSG instead of a lapsteel because it's more spectacular and sustains a lot longer.

Kind greetings to all

Contenu sponsorisé

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

La date/heure actuelle est Ven 18 Aoû - 15:23