Steelguitar.fr - Le forum dédié à la Pedal Steel

Bienvenue sur steelguitar.fr Pour toute inscription nous acceptons les musiciens uniquement sous leurs VRAIS NOMS ET PRÉNOMS (par exemple "Stéphane Lefebvre"). Tout pseudonyme sera immédiatement rejeté. Merci
Steelguitar.fr - Le forum dédié à la Pedal Steel

Pedal steel, matériel, événements, musique, occasions . Le 1 er Forum Français regroupant les Joueurs de Pedal Steel, Lap steel et Résonateurs.

STEELGUITAR.FR
Retrouvez de nombreuses infos à propos de la Pedal Steel sur nos sites ressources: ----- http://www.pedalsteel.fr ----- http://www.pedalsteelguitar.fr -----
Prochains rendez vous importants: -------->>>
PROCHAINES RENCONTRES DE CHARLIEU (42) printemps 2017 - renseignements Éric Want ----

How many instruments do you play? - future of steel in bands???

Partagez
Mummenhoff Marc
sage

How many instruments do you play? - future of steel in bands???

Message  Mummenhoff Marc le Mar 22 Jan - 19:51

Myself i play pedalsteel, leadguitar and 5-string banjo.
If i play live i play half the time steel and the other half i play leadguitar. And a few banjo songs (2 or 3)
What about you steelers????
My personal opinion is: too much steel in all the songs? it's too much! Twisted Evil
I see a steel something like a sax or xlofoon, or whatever. You don't play it in all the songs. A piano or guitar? Yes it can! Wink
But not a steel.
Sometimes i play with heavy distortion on the steel. You get the attention of young people. They seemed to like it. But are we ready to do this in the future?
Jean-Marie RAFFAULT
Flying Fisherman

Re: How many instruments do you play? - future of steel in bands???

Message  Jean-Marie RAFFAULT le Mer 23 Jan - 9:31

Hi Marc,

Like you I play pedalsteel, lead guitar, dobro and 5 strings banjo, and like you when I play live i play half the time steel and half the time lead guitar. Laughing
Lionel Duhaupas
Admin

Message  Lionel Duhaupas le Mer 23 Jan - 9:41

Hi Marc
I've began classical guitar at 12 years during 10 years, after rock'n'roll and blues music on rythm and lead guitar, banjo 5 strings bluegrass music and since 15 years I play steel guitar with differents musicians.
jean marie stainier
sage

Message  jean marie stainier le Mer 23 Jan - 10:17

Howdy Marc,
I play guitar, bass and upright bass, 5 strings banjo, keyboards, irish flute, celtic harp, and of course pedal steel guitar.
For the moment, when I play live, it is 2/3 pedal steel, 1/3 guitar (lead, rythm or 12 string electric)
Of course, pedal steel doesn't fit in all numbers and you must achieve a certain variety for the audience.
But all depends of the kind of instruments you find in the band. In my band, there is a fiddle and keyboard, so there is no need for emulating or replacing them as I did in other bands before.
It is possible to play 100% pedal steel in a band if you can take the part of a missing fiddle or play keyboard parts. But to do that, you absolutely need E9 AND C6.I did it before, but you need to be quite versatile to achieve it
e.g.: to play Merle Haggard's Big City, I took the full intro with the pedal steel, replacing the fiddle in the first half of the intro and in the turnaround.
I'm quite reluctant to use distorsion with the steel in coutry music. I own an original Boss Tone, but I only used it in other styles (blues, Yes style...)
I think that in the European context, a steel player must be able to play other instruments due to the fact that bands can't afford to pay a full time steeler. But if you want to play 100% steel in the band, you need a lead singer playing rythm guitar and a very proficient lead guitarist in the band. It works : I did it for years.
J-M
Mummenhoff Marc
sage

Message  Mummenhoff Marc le Mer 23 Jan - 19:46

As you know Jean Marie i play in two bands and i am playing more and more guitar, because it's feel so.
My experience from the past from playing in heavy rock and bluesbands comes very handy in today's country music. pirat
I still love the steel no worry
CLEMENT CANTIN
sage

Message  CLEMENT CANTIN le Jeu 24 Jan - 7:39

Hi Marc,
On stage with our Country Music band, I play 50% time PSG, 30% Telecaster, 20% 5 strings banjo, mando, harmonica.
Some tunes are made for PSG and some are not.
I play in an instrumental and vocal trio too where I just play electroacoustic guitar or strato. light instruments, light amps and sono for bars, restaurants, small rooms.
Mummenhoff Marc
sage

Message  Mummenhoff Marc le Jeu 24 Jan - 8:32

That is what i tought. Most steelers plays other instruments in a band.
Thx
Fred Mabrut
Chef de l'apéro

Message  Fred Mabrut le Dim 27 Jan - 20:22

For myself on stage:
99.9% steel guitar and 0.01% Bodhran
At home you can a bit of:
Keyboards
Celtic Harp
Irish Tin whistle (the green one)
Telecaster-like guitar (a poor one in fact)
Acoustic Guitar
Dobro
Maracas!! tongue

Contenu sponsorisé

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

La date/heure actuelle est Lun 11 Déc - 3:03